PUNTLAND LABOUR FORCE SURVEY REPORT

Executive Summary

The overall labour force participation rate for Puntland State of Somalia was 22.9 percent with male and female rates of 33.6 and 14.8 percent respectively. The urban and rural rates were just about equal at about 23 percent. Among the working age group, about 22.9 percent were in the labour force i.e., either employed or unemployed while the rest, about 77.1 percent were outside the labour force. With respect to sex, 66.4 percent of the males were outside the labour force relative to 85.2 percent of the females. The proportion of the working age group outside the labour force in urban and rural areas was about 77 percent for each.

The unemployment rate was 11.7 percent and males had a lower rate of 10.7 percent while females had a rate of 13.5 percent. The youth (aged 15 to 24 years) unemployment rate was 31.7 percent and is higher for female youth (32.4 percent) than the male youth (31.2 percent).

With respect to branches of economic activity, services were the single most frequent activity contributing 56 percent to all employment. This was followed by agriculture (26 percent ) and industry (18 percent). The occupation categories with the highest occupational share were service and sales workers (37.5 percent) and professionals (at 24.9 percent) – which was mainly composed of teachers and health professionals.

PUNTLAND LABOUR FORCE SURVEY REPORT